[Hackrf-dev] Hackrf Rx sensitivity

Glen Overby gpoverby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:38:39 EST 2016

Yes, I've had some frustrations finding settings for the best sensitivity.
On VHF I've found I get the best sensitivity with the IF gain set to 40db
and the baseband gain set to zero.  The baseband gain seems to bring up the
noise level and obliterate signals. The preamp certainly helps but I've
been wary of enabling it (or keeping it enabled) due to the blown preamp
stories here.

I put a preamp based on the RFMD SPF 5043 (a board from g4ddk & wa5vjb) in
front of the hackrf but without much success.  I did have some good results
with the SPF5043 and a MAR-6, but I also got some oscillations at times.  I
continue to experiment with that.

Glen, kc0iyt