[Hackrf-dev] Shielding and distance from the PC makes a difference!

Peter Jones peter.jones at versiontwo.ca
Mon Apr 4 11:18:14 EDT 2016

A few notes to anyone else having issues with noise and instability:

After playing with Hack RF for about a week, I have found that

1) Placing the HackRF unit on top of a computer adds so much noise it
cant receive much of anything. Place the HackRF unit as far from the
computer as the USB cable permits. For about a day I couldn't figure out
why I could not receive FM stations with gnuradio-companion even though
everything  seemed fine.

2) Particularly in the GHz bands, even simple shielding makes a huge
difference. I covered my unit with aluminum foil (which I clipped to one
of the clock SMA connector to ground it) and performance improved
dramatically. I am going to try the NooElec enclosure kit and RF Shield
and how well they work.