[Hackrf-dev] Project on the decoding of WiFi-Networks

West, Nathan natw at ostatemail.okstate.edu
Mon May 25 13:07:09 EDT 2015

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Andreas Diehm <andreas.diehm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello fellow HackRF-Devs,
>
> I'm a german student working on a project in which we try to read the Data
> of a WiFi-Network using the HackRF and Gnu Radio Companion.
> I have some questions about some peculiar things that have happend to me
> while exercising the lessons on SDR by Michael Ossmann.
> I did the Radio in GRC and it worked only once, all the other times it
> gives me "UaUaUa" as an Error-Message, is this related to my Hardware or
> related to some bugs on the HackRF and what is the meaning of "U" and "a"?

Ua in GNU radio language is basically "audio underrun". See
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#I-have-a-receiver-with-acoustic-output-and-keep-getting-aUaUaU-errors
for more info.

> Another question is about the filters in GRC. While trying to set up a
> filter for my (very basic and unfinished) flowgraph (
> http://abload.de/img/bsbphudi.png ) I was unable to figure out, what
> value the "transition width" needs. Is there a way of calculating it, trial
> and error unfortunatly turned out to be unsuccsessful.

Transition width is the frequency gap between your pass band edge and your
stop band edge. If you look at any textbook on DSP you should see a good
picture. Your favorite search engine might also turn up good results; it's
a fairly widespread concept.

> My last question is, if there is already a flowgraph that decodes
> Wifi-Data, and is it even possible with the HackRF, Gnu Radio Companion and
> a consumer-class PC to do such a complicated action?

For a list of nice GNU Radio applications see http://cgran.org (disclaimer:
I'm a co-author of that page). gr-ieee802-11 is there:
http://cgran.org/pages/gr-ieee802-11.html

> Best regards,
>
> Andreas Diehm

Cheers,