[CMCEmail] Two New CMC Outings Added To The Schedule!

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Wed Jan 25 14:28:02 EST 2017

CMC Members-

The following outing(s) have just been added to the schedule:
Note:  for the complete outings schedule, visit our website ( <http://californiamountaineer.net/> http://californiamountaineer.net/)

February 18th – 20th                          Saturday - Monday                    Presidents Day-Utah Adventure

The weather in southern Utah in February is very hard to predict, so we will have plans to accommodate whatever we may encounter. However, the tentative plan is to spend a day at Cedar Breaks and two days in Zion. If you don’t know Cedar Breaks, think of a mini version of Bryce Canyon, but with no people. It is four miles from the trailhead to the overlook. There will be deep snow which will likely be groomed. The distance may be covered by hiking, snowshoeing, or cross country skiing. The view is spectacular.

Two additional days are planned to be spent in Zion. Weather permitting, I would like to descend some canyons. Canyoneering experience is not necessary, but required gear includes a helmet, wetsuit, and personal rappelling gear. All this can be rented, if needed, in Springdale, just outside the park. If the weather does not cooperate, we can spend the time hiking.

These should be considered tentative plans only and participants will need to be flexible.  Participants should be in appropriate physical condition for winter adventuring, and be comfortable rappelling and down climbing modest but unprotected drops.

Zion has become super popular recently, to the point of people being turned away during certain busy periods. This trip provides an opportunity to visit the park during a time of minimal visitation and maximal beauty. Also, we will be sleeping indoors at my house in Springdale, so no worries about winter camping!

If interested contact Tim Hoover: frisbeedog02 at yahoo.com

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Tim Hoover

February 25th – 26th                              Saturday – Sunday                           Alabama Hills Climbing

No need to stop climbing just because it’s winter. The Alabama Hills have a very moderate climate and sunny routes that allow climbing through the winter months. Why Alabama Hills? Joshua Tree granite, sport climbing ethos, no crowds, and spectacular scenery. This is what climbing at Alabama Hills is all about. The routes range from roughly 5.6 to 5.12, with the majority in the range of 5.8 to 5.10.  The approaches are short as the climbing tends to be quite near the parking areas. Facilities consist of tent sites with picnic tables, fire rings, barbeques and pit toilets. There may not be water (I’m not sure if it stays on during the winter) so bring whatever you need to be safe. On our previous CMC trip here, we stayed in a group and practiced leading. That option is available if anyone is interested, otherwise we’ll just do whatever makes sense.

This trip is open to anyone regardless of skill or experience. Standard personal gear, including harness and helmet are required.

If interested contact Tim Hoover: frisbeedog02 at vyahoo.com

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Tim Hoover