[CMCEmail] Potentially Deadly Sling Technique

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Tue Apr 21 10:59:05 EDT 2009

Potentially Deadly Sling Technique

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102554196356&s=2930&e=001ejia5PtdjXmfCrVrI2uTf0pJ
sZ5ac0mizZxnjtrX4ifjlW4pEyLmPwCuw09i48YvqGw7aO0Ckwa3yGL3JwTIpDQZ23E38dL9NjIy
TNzDGSiahuKxn2_ymNtdFvXfE96nvaZxd48YztFP5I4IfbIZ4wmkjsqY7SCw>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102554196356&s=2930&e=001ejia5PtdjXmfCrVrI2uTf0pJ
sZ5ac0mizZxnjtrX4ifjlW4pEyLmPwCuw09i48YvqGw7aO0Ckwa3yGL3JwTIpDQZ23E38dL9NjIy
TNzDGSiahuKxn2_ymNtdFvXfE96nvaZxd48YztFP5I4IfbIZ4wmkjsqY7SCw> Slings
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102554196356&s=2930&e=001ejia5PtdjXmfCrVrI2uTf0pJ
sZ5ac0mizZxnjtrX4ifjlW4pEyLmPwCuw09i48YvqGw7aO0Ckwa3yGL3JwTIpDQZ23E38dL9NjIy
TNzDGSiahuKxn2_ymNtdFvXfE96nvaZxd48YztFP5I4IfbIZ4wmkjsqY7SCw>

If you use rubber bands or other keepers to cinch carabiners to "open"
slings or quickdraws, be aware that this could lead to very dangerous
situation-it may have caused a recent serious accident in Great Britain. If
one strand of the sling clips itself through the carabiner accidentally (in
the jumble of gear in your pack, for example), the entire sling can be
unclipped from the 'biner, but you might not notice this problem because the
rubber band is still holding the carabiner in place. If that rubber band is
ALL that's holding the 'biner, a deadly accident could result. In this short
video at UKClimbing.com
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102554196356&s=2930&e=001ejia5PtdjXmfCrVrI2uTf0pJ
sZ5ac0mizZxnjtrX4ifjlW4pEyLmPwCuw09i48YvqGw7aO0Ckwa3yGL3JwTIpDQZ23E38dL9NjIy
TNzDGSiahuKxn2_ymNtdFvXfE96nvaZxd48YztFP5I4IfbIZ4wmkjsqY7SCw> , climber and
DMM employee Graham Desroy demonstrates several ways this can happen. Watch
the video and pay attention to your gear!

Photo: Courtesy of www.ukclimbing.com
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102554196356&s=2930&e=001ejia5PtdjXletOLHtA5kMj5T
ncOTkTz9cG6h7bEq5FuaMp9HEzjtDw7lk6XXYLzSpB8TMPSyXSVBuP-OmfzhxDe7u03WOmN4i41z
LONDlIVknZTIvGcQUQ==> .