[Hackrf-dev] Broken/Dead HackRF Blue?

Noah Jaehnert njaehner at gmail.com
Sat May 2 14:56:15 EDT 2020

Hi all,

I cannot get my HackRF Blue to be recognized in Linux (Raspberry Pi), nor
Mac OS X. I get nothing in dmesg, /var/log/syslog, lsusb, hackrf_info, nor
dfu-util. The device just doesn't seem to exist.

In normal mode, 3v3, 1v8, and RF leds are on solid, but no USB. In DFU, 3v3
is on and RF is on (somewhat dim), no USB.

It seems to be exhibiting the same symptoms as Pierre's here:
https://pairlist9.pair.net/pipermail/hackrf-dev/2015-December/001735.html

Tried on 3 different computers (Raspberry Pi w/Buster, Mac OS X, and
Windows 10). On Win10, I get a "Device Descriptor Failed" error. On the
other two (RasPi and Mac), there is nothing in dmesg, lsusb, logs, etc. Its
as if the device is dead from a USB perspective.

On Windows, when plugged in, it shows as "Unknown USB Device (Device
Descriptor Failed)." However, I cannot seem to do anything with it. I tried
dfu-util and reflashing but it is not recognized by dfu-util on Windows
either.

Is there anything I can do about this? Or is my HackRF toast?

Thanks,

-Noah