[Hackrf-dev] How to tell if antenna is faulty

Jonathan Guthrie ka8kpn at ka8kpn.org
Wed Jan 30 18:31:18 EST 2019

Your multimeter is probably using DC to determine what the resistance
is.  At DC an antenna's resistance is...unknown.  It could be anything
from zero to infinite, depending on how the antenna is expected to work.

Mr. Vanhorn's response is pretty good, but allow me to expand upon it.
The antennas that come with the HackRF One are honestly not very good,
so you should probably expect to acquire (either purchase or construct)
better ones, and the ones you want depend on what you expect to do with
the device.  They were enough for me to get started and to verify that
the device works, but I've already constructed others that I'm going to
use for my actual purposes.  So, the first question you need to answer
is:  What do you want to do with your HackRF One?  I don't want to
speculate and give you a bunch of advice that's wrong.

To answer the question that you actually asked, you determine that an
antenna is working by connecting a signal generator to it and looking at
the signal radiated from it (if any) using a field strength meter or by
using it to receive a radio signal of known strength.  You can also
often determine some useful things by hooking an antenna analyzer to it
and seeing how it responds to signals of various frequencies.  Antenna
design and analysis is a very complicated subject with lots of
deeply-held opinions masquerading as fact, but that's the basics.