[Hackrf-dev] Precise synthesizer tuning

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Wed Sep 26 03:36:52 EDT 2018

Phil,

Unfortunately the answer is rather complicated because there are two
frequency synthesizers involved, not just one.  The code that handles
tuning in the firmware is set_freq() here:

https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/blob/master/firmware/common/tuning.c#L57

To determine the exact frequency you would have to look at that function
and the functions it calls to set the frequency of the two
mixer/synthesizer parts (and read the data sheets of those parts).

It's a bit simpler if you use set_freq_explicit (which is invoked when
using certain command line options with hackrf_transfer) because it
lacks the fancy automatic IF determination that tries to avoid spurs
that can be caused by various harmonics.

I think it would be a good idea to provide an easy way to retrieve this
information from a running HackRF, so I've added an enhancement to the
issues list:

https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/issues/524

One way to accomplish part of that functionality today would be to use
the hackrf_debug command to retrieve register values from the max2837
and rffc5072, but you'd still have to read the data sheets to know how
to compute the frequencies from the register values.

Mike