[Hackrf-dev] Windows Woes

Chris Meta chris.why23 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 14:14:25 EDT 2018

Hi all..

My name is Chris, and I come before you with a baffling problem.

My HackRF One (and my NooElec Nano2+) quit working under Windows 7. They
still work (to the extent I've learned to utilize them at this point) on 2
different Linux machines. The HackRF has the 2017.02.1 firmware on it,
which I upped it to sometime early this year.
These WERE working Windows. I don't know exactly when or what happened, but
at some point *both* devices - at the same time - just quit being
recognized by software. GnuRadio/GRC, Sdr.Comv2/v3, HDSdr, all of it.
Neither the HRF-O nor the Nano2+, in any USB port, in any application, work.

At some point, hackrf_info went from saying no HackRF was present to
throwing a dialog "The procedure entry point libusb_strerror could not be
loicated in the dynamic link library libusb-1.0.dll."
(I believe that is part of the driver from Zadig, no?) Nothing shows up in
the Windows Event Viewer logs when this happens, so I'm buggered for where
to look next. I actually was at that point approximately the moment I
discovered that the devices weren't being recognized by the software, but I
do TRY to clean up my own messes, Read That Fine (if often
incomprehensible) Manual, recheck my work, try to remember what mistakes I
might have made, cross-check with other hardware and software, "Ask Dr.
Google" etc, but I think I've got those bases well-covered five times over
and I'm at wit's (and patience's) end I I just want the friggin' thing to
work so I can get back to my radio hobby. I got tired of my computer hobby
when this problem beat me.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd be grateful...