[Hackrf-dev] advice on a txco to buy?

Giuseppe Marullo giuseppe at marullo.it
Sat Jun 23 06:40:17 EDT 2018

I was needing (and still searching) for a txco for the HackRf but I
would like something internal to the box, not sure about what is sold on
Ebay. Anyone could recommend something that surely would fit inside the
Standard enclosure?

Anyway if you really want to address the problem, spend a little more
and use something like this one:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Trimble-GPS-Receiver-GPSDO-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-sine-and-square-wave/252162780444?hash=item3ab612ad1c:g:PqcAAOSww-Baabwy

It is a second hand trimble gpsdo module, enclosed with a aluminum box,
add this antenna:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Maxrad-GPS-TMG-26N-26db-gps-timing-antenna-antenne-N-female/232793495105?hash=item363392d641:g:XOgAAOSw5VFWMReh

and you could have like 10ppt (parts per trillion) accuracy if you keep
it powered on for several days.

Most important part is that it self checks accuracy, and depending on
the module inside (at the moment trimble not Symmetricom beware) you
should be able to use Lady Heater (http://www.ke5fx.com/heather/readme.htm).

Another alternative is QRPLabs:
https://qrp-labs.com/progrock.html plus
https://qrp-labs.com/qlg1.html

cheaper but in kit and without enclosures.
I have both, and generally they are very good for the price. QRPLabs is
off by like 2Hz at 10MHz, didn't have the time to investigate why.

Subscribe to time nuts mailing list if you want to know more (*much*
more, possibly even too much) about timing:

www.leapsecond.com

Cheers!

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ