[Hackrf-dev] not so good experience for my first SDR

Cinaed Simson cinaed.simson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 15:41:38 EDT 2017

On 03/18/2017 11:18 AM, mohammed hamoud alkindy wrote:
> Thank you all for the support, it seems I am trying things without any
> improvement, changing sampling rates give me strange error messages no
> matter what rate I put:
>

> Failed to set RX input rate to 8e+07
>
> Your device may not be working properly.
>
> The same with other lower rates

Assuming you didn't as mistake inputting the rate, this may be a bug in
your gqrx.

8e+07 is 80 MHz - which may be the maximum sampling rate for gqrx - but
this is just a wild eye guess - I have no idea where that number is
coming from.

Try blowing away

   $HOME/.config/gqrx/default.conf

You may have to do this each time you change the sampling rate via the
input rate window below 8 MHz using the HackRF.

I can use gqrx at lower sampling rates on the HackRF.

Also, try actually working through the tutorials at greatscottgadgets
and figuring out what your sampling rate is based on using hackrf_transfer.

Then take half of that value for a ball park figure for using gqrx.

If you're using a Beagle Bone or a Raspberry Pi, you're going to have
nothing but trouble at high sampling rates.

> If you have sampling issues you will get an *underrun* not an *overrun*.

You're ignoring the CPU/USB between the HackRF and the sound card.

If the CPU/USB can't keep up with the HackRF's sampling rate you get
over flows, i.e., the computer is dropping data.