[Hackrf-dev] Help Installing HackRF on Ubuntu for Linux Newbie

Jerry jsternmd at att.net
Sat Jul 15 14:01:09 EDT 2017

I have my new HackRF working with GNU radio in Windows 7.  I updated the
firmware and clpd to latest I want to learn to use SDR in a Linux
environment so I installed the Ubuntu package 16.04.2 LTS onto a dedicated
HP i5 M520 Quad core laptop.  I tried to install pip then PyBOMBS to use to
install GNU radio but there are many slightly different instructions that I
encountered error messages along the way.  I wiped my drive/partition and
reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.2 and then used the recommended approach on
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/InstallingGR

$ apt-get install gnuradio

This ran for a while installing and it seems to have installed OK.

I next queried my HackRF with

$ hackrf_info

and got a message to install it with $ apt-get install hackrf, which I did.

Now when I run $ hackrf_info I get the apparently notorious:

Found HackRF board 0

hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB (-1000)

I checked the FAQ's and ran hackrf_info as root but got same message.  I
also ran it a few times with same result, so it doesn't seem to be a
permission problem.

I read that if the install was with PyBOMBS that udev rules need updating
but I don't know if the install procedure I followed used pybombs

Any advice appreciated.

Jerry NY2KW