[Hackrf-dev] Ok, this is weird

David Hubbard david.c.hubbard+hackrf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:39:13 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Chuck McManis <chuck.mcmanis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> And still more additional data, I booted pentoo on my system (gotta love
> liveCD boots) and ran the lesson1 config from there, same hardware same USB
> setup and no glitching (or underruns) in the audio. So clearly something
> changed. Unfortunately there isn't any way I find to audit what Anaconda
> did to my system.

Good first step: you've eliminated problems within the HackRF itself. It is
indeed "just" a matter of what happened to your system.

However, I wouldn't be able to diagnose it any better. Your approach of
repeated bisection of the problem space works... but it's very laborious.
All I can offer are a couple of guesses:
1. A library was installed with the wrong version. I suggest this test:
uninstall and purge configuration for everything related to gnuradio and
HackRF, then reinstall.

2. You are the first to encounter a bug that no one else has encountered
yet, but someone may soon. I suggest this test: compare the versions of all
the software between that Pentoo liveCD and your system. As far as
possible, install the closest matching version to Pentoo and test as you
go, seeing if the problem disappears. Then go back and figure out what
changes are causing the problem (or wait for someone to discover the
problem and fix it for you).

David