[Hackrf-dev] Narrowband fm - what is the secret?

Cinaed Simson cinaed.simson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 04:50:45 EDT 2016

On 09/15/2016 08:03 AM, Kevin Reid wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2016, at 19:55, Cinaed Simson <cinaed.simson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi - neither APRS or AFSK are FM modulated.
>>
>> AFSK is digital and uses 2 frequencies - FM is analog and uses a wide
>> range of frequencies.
>>
>> APRS is packet based and you need to decode it - which is what your
>> handset is doing.
>
> This is not correct.
>
> “A”FSK (as opposed to FSK) refers to FSK whose two frequencies are in the audio range, and in this context specifically placed into the audio input/output of an FM transmitter/receiver.

2 audio frequencies are 2 frequencies.

> APRS consists of digital data on a specific AFSK modulation. Gavin Jacobs is talking about _listening_ for that audible AFSK signal -- it has an easily recognizable sound and should not resemble silence with a narrow-band FM demodulator. From everything I read, they are doing everything right.

You can demod the APRS signal as AM, FM, LSB, USB, CW-L or CW-U - they
will all make sounds when the APRS signal is present.

>> On 09/14/2016 09:03 AM, Gavin Jacobs wrote:
>>> Yesterday (thanks to help here on this mail list) I got my hackrf One
>>> working as an FM receiver. I have SDR# v1.0.0.1483 running on Windows
>>> 10. So, today I want to move on to narrowband fm. I picked APRS channel
>>> because there is steady traffic. I tuned SDR# to 144.39 MHz, NFM,
>>> bandwidth 8k, LNA gain 32, VGA gain 24, amp off (also tried on), squelch
>>> off, antenna adjusted to 52 cm.
>>>
>>> If I key my handheld, I see a big spike on the frequency; and if I zoom
>>> in, it appears centered on 144.39.  Meanwhile, on my handheld, I can
>>> hear the AFSK tones, so I know there are signals coming in, but the
>>> hackrf/SDR# doesn't change (neither frequency nor audio).
>
> If I read your description correctly, then you're saying that
> * you can hear APRS packets on your handheld, and
> * you can see a signal from your handheld on your HackRF One, but
> * you cannot see or hear APRS packets using the HackRF One.
>
> This suggests that the signal is sufficiently weak that it is below the HackRF One's receive noise floor, but not for your handheld. Then, some possibilities:

But he indicated there was a "big spike" in the frequency - by big I
presume it was well above the noise floor. In fact, it was probably well
above the HackRF's DC offset.

It's unlikely it's an antenna problem - which doesn't mean it can't be
improved.

Also, is turning off the squelch equivalent to setting it to 0 dB?

Try a little squelch and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try the same FM station as before again and see if
you can hear anything.

And as a last resort, given it's a Windows 10 machine, try rebooting it.