[Hackrf-dev] Need help with Hackrf-tools Build for Windows

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:07:34 EDT 2016

On 4 October 2016 at 19:59, James Brown <Jim at seti.net> wrote:

> I am attempting to build the hack tools with Visual Studio 2015 x64 and
have come to a stumbling block.
> I think I have the build process correct but am failing on how to include
the correct H file. This is probably due to lack of understanding of the
use of VS.

> I have the process shown on my web site at:
> http://www.seti.net/engineering/engineering.php

This log is very helpful, thanks for keeping track of what you've done.

> Could someone follow me down this rabbit hole and help me back out?

I don't know much about building things on Windows systems, but I have some
suggestions:

I prefer to create a build directory under the host/ and run cmake from in
there, that keeps everything contained if I need to ditch it and start again

When you run cmake, you need to point it at the hackrf/host directory.
This is the location of the top level cmake file, which will ensure that
both libhackrf and the hackrf tools are built.

I don't know what our minimum requirement for lubusb is, I think 1.0.2
should be fine.  However, if you see build warnings about missing libusb
functions, you may need a newer version.

I think you're missing some of the configuration while running cmake, the
.sln file produced by cmake should know about libusb and pthread.  Have you
built and installed both?

You'll need to set variables in the cmake GUI such as:
LIBUSB_LIBRARIES
THREADS_PTHREADS_INCLUDE_DIR
THREADS_PTHREADS_INCLUDE_DIR
THREADS_PTHREADS_WIN32_LIBRARY

If you would prefer to avoid doing all of that, you can install binaries
that are built by the PothosSDR / MyriadRF projects from here:
http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/

Thanks,
  Dominic