[Hackrf-dev] Error while running dump1090 with Hackrf

Martin Müller mail at mueller-martin.net
Tue Oct 4 07:48:11 EDT 2016

Hi,

theoretically it should be possible to combine hackrf_transfer and the „original“ dump1090 by piping the data, but I was not successful doing so.

This is the command I tried:
./hackrf_transfer -r - -f 1090000000 -c 2000000 2>/dev/null | dump1090 --ifile --metric --interactive --net

Note: Redirecting stderr (by 2>/dev/null) seems to be required as the dump1090 and hackrf_transfers output seem to overwrite each other periodically and hackrf_transfer has no „quiet“ flag, yet.
Another note: I’m using the latest hackrf_transfer built from source (commit 7840322).

Should this work or are the input/output formats of each program incompatible?
What format does hackrf_transfer output its samples? dump1090 seems to require "8-bit unsigned IQ samples at 2Mhz sample rate“ according to its Readme.

Greetings

Martin