[Hackrf-dev] Hackrfblue burnt after AC power outage

Ben Z en de rest hoofdeigenwijs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 13:17:46 EST 2016

Hi, sorry for asking but I have a Hackrfblue which won't work on USB after
a local power outage. The connected computer was hissing and the FB3 (gnd)
 filter was smoking.

I disconnected the PC and after that the PC starts fine, the Hackrfblue did
not power up. I bypassed FB3 which was non conducting. The computer claims
that a broken USB device has been connected. Smart computer that is :-(

I noticed that the ESD protection chip had 5 ohm to gnd resistance on D+ so
I removed that chip.

Current is now 350 mA but the computer (tested on 2 computers) still gives
the broken USB device message.

I did measure that from VCC to GND is as low as 10 Ohm resistance.

I have been studying the diagrams but I seem to miss where and how VCC is
made from the USB +5 V power.

Any hints on this ?

Thanks for the support,

Kind regards,