[Hackrf-dev] How to do retunes in firmware ?

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 03:31:59 EDT 2016

On 14 July 2016 at 03:38, Patrick Sathyanathan <wpats at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The wiki page says: "When writing a firmware image to SPI flash, be sure
to select firmware that is compiled with the "rom_to_ram" option"

> How do I build with the "rom_to_ram" option ?

This is the default so you don't need to explicitly state it.

The alternative is running directly from RAM, which is used with DFU mode
for recovery.  In that case we build with "make RUN_FROM=RAM"

Thanks,
  Dominic

> ________________________________
> From: dominicgs at gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:56:02 +0100
>
> Subject: Re: [Hackrf-dev] How to do retunes in firmware ?
> To: wpats at hotmail.com
> CC: hackrf-dev at greatscottgadgets.com
>
> On 13 July 2016 at 02:47, Patrick Sathyanathan <wpats at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the firmware code in
.../hackrf/firmware/hackrf_usb and I see there is a "main" function in
hackrf_usb.c. I'm not sure I understand the control-flow. After doing some
initialization there seems to be a loop transferring buffers 0/1. Is this
loop where I should insert my periodic retuning code ?

> Yes, if you want something to happen after N buffers, then you can count
them there and call the code at that point.  Alternatively you could set a
timer, but that wouldn't be synced to the number of buffers.

> > Is there a document that outlines the design of the firmware ?
Something that outlines the major modules and that could point me to where
I need to make my modifications  ?

> As far as I know there isn't any documentation on how the firmware is put
together.  You seem to be doing a good job of working it out from the code,
but if you have any questions, IRC or this mailing list are good places to
ask.

> Thanks,
>   Dominic
>
> > ________________________________
> > From: dominicgs at gmail.com
> > Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 14:05:47 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [Hackrf-dev] How to do retunes in firmware ?
> > To: wpats at hotmail.com
> > CC: hackrf-dev at greatscottgadgets.com
> >

> > On 8 July 2016 at 03:02, Patrick Sathyanathan <wpats at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to use the HackRF-One for fast scanning somewhat like
osmocom_spectrum_sense but using the hackRF library directly. I want to
reduce retune time as much as possible. A recent thread on this list
mentioned that firmware tuning is the fastest. How do I implement periodic
(at fixed intervals) retuning in firmware ? Can I also make my PC
application aware of the current frequency at any time with this ?

> > The firmware doesn't currently support retuning, so the feature would
need to be added.  You would need to determine a way for the host
application to know what the frequency is, I would suggest either:
> > 1) putting the currently tuned frequency at the start of the buffer to
be sent back to the host
> > or
> > 2) configuring a fixed number of buffers to return to the host between
retuning event

> > The first means changing the buffer sizes and any complexities involved
with that, the second means synchonisation issues if a transfer is dropped
for any reason

> > > Is there any sample code I can look at ?
> >
> > I believe that Mike Walters is currently working on a project with very
similar goals.  I don't know if his code is available yet, but I would
expect it to appear on GitHub when it is.