[Hackrf-dev] How to do retunes in firmware ?

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 09:05:47 EDT 2016

On 8 July 2016 at 03:02, Patrick Sathyanathan <wpats at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use the HackRF-One for fast scanning somewhat like
osmocom_spectrum_sense but using the hackRF library directly. I want to
reduce retune time as much as possible. A recent thread on this list
mentioned that firmware tuning is the fastest. How do I implement periodic
(at fixed intervals) retuning in firmware ? Can I also make my PC
application aware of the current frequency at any time with this ?

The firmware doesn't currently support retuning, so the feature would need
to be added.  You would need to determine a way for the host application to
know what the frequency is, I would suggest either:
1) putting the currently tuned frequency at the start of the buffer to be
sent back to the host
or
2) configuring a fixed number of buffers to return to the host between
retuning event

The first means changing the buffer sizes and any complexities involved
with that, the second means synchonisation issues if a transfer is dropped
for any reason

> Is there any sample code I can look at ?

I believe that Mike Walters is currently working on a project with very
similar goals.  I don't know if his code is available yet, but I would
expect it to appear on GitHub when it is.

Dominic