[Hackrf-dev] HackRF (FM) carrier frequency sweep rate

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Wed Jul 6 17:54:12 EDT 2016

Stephen,

If you can restrict your hopping to a 20 MHz range, then you can use a
sample rate of 20 Msps and hop instantly (well, within a 50 ns sample
period) in software.

If you need to hop over more than 20 MHz and must control the hopping
from a host computer over USB, then your tuning time will be dominated
by USB latency.  I'm not sure how quickly you would be able to tune, but
I guess something like 2 ms.

If you can tune in firmware, then you can reduce the tuning time
considerably.  I've measured tuning times between 145 us and 750 us from
firmware.  I haven't done much work to optimize this, but it is probably
possible to achieve consistent sub-200 us tuning time for most
applications.

Tuning doesn't take much CPU time.  The reasons it takes time (roughly
in order) are:

1. USB latency (if controlled by host computer)
2. inter-chip serial communication
3. PLL settling

You might find this talk interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZgQzrevjo