[Hackrf-dev] hackrf/beaglebone combined unit

william hatch billhatch40 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 09:42:11 EST 2016

I have been developing software to control a hackrf/beaglebone unit. Recently I saw here some postings here about the development of a single printed circuit version combining the hackrf with a beaglebone or perhaps a more powerful CPU.

My suggestion to the developers is this. Please use a standard Ubuntu or Debian Linux. With the beaglebone the use of a stock Debian Linux "as delivered" has made my job much easier. The wifi hardware interface was included for the recommended hardware. For large packages with many dependencies like numerical python, scipy, and gnu radio companion, I can do a simple "apt-get install". This saves me from having to resolve the unraveling of dependencies often required from a "git clone" build fom source. In summary, the stock (Debian in this case) Linux has made it easier for the software developer to implement prototype applications.

I expect that for specific well funded applications, after successful prototyping, the beaglebone will be replaced by a more powerful cpu running a specialized version of the operating system.
Bill Hatch