[Hackrf-dev] HackRF for BeagleBone Black

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Tue Feb 23 11:13:26 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:46:27AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> I have some folk at ARM who would be interested to know this: I'd also
> be very interested. SDR might actually be a good candidate for the ARM
> 8 64 bit architecture - or even the ARM 8 A 32 bit Cortex core that
> has just been announced.

I'm very interested in the Cortex-A32 and Cortex-A35, but they aren't
far enough along for a project I'd like to complete this year.  I'm also
interested in faster ARMv8 parts, but we'd want something with low power
consumption so that it can be used with PortaPack (and/or a next
generation PortaPack).

> ARM 8 + FPGA + some degree of filtering / easy changeover from TX/RX
> would be very well worth having.

Agreed.  We'll probably go with one of the newer ARMv7 parts and an
iCE40 8k FPGA.

> I've also been looking at amateur radio where there is an ARM core -
> like ELAD FDM Duo - but with traditional electronics around it.

That actually has a Cortex-M4 similar to (but slightly less capable
than) the one on HackRF One.  PortaPack for HackRF One is also a good
example of what can be done on this architecture.

Mike