[Hackrf-dev] HackRF for BeagleBone Black

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 06:46:27 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:59:11PM -0700, Michael Ossmann wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 08:08:33PM -0800, Cinaed Simson wrote:
> >
> > Maybe a HackRF cape used with the FPGA cape - where the FPGA cape can
> > also be used to interface a SATA device :)
>
> That would be very cool but would probably be tricky to integrate
> effectively.  (You'd want the HackRF cape to be usable with or without
> the FPGA cape.)
>
> We haven't started working on it, but we're thinking about making a new
> HackRF that runs ARM Linux and has the same radio section as HackRF One
> (all on one board).  Our leading candidate CPU at this point is AM4376,
> which is basically the next generation of the CPU on the BeagleBone
> Black.  This board would not replace HackRF One but would be a higher
> cost option for people who want an embedded Linux SDR platform instead
> of a USB peripheral.

I have some folk at ARM who would be interested to know this: I'd also be
very interested. SDR might actually be a good candidate for the ARM 8
64 bit architecture - or even the ARM 8 A 32 bit Cortex core that has just been announced.

ARM 8 + FPGA + some degree of filtering / easy changeover from TX/RX would be
very well worth having. I've also been looking at amateur radio where there
is an ARM core - like ELAD FDM Duo - but with traditional electronics around it.

High quality transmit/receive SDR from say 50 - 500MHz with a good linear output stage for
further amplification and I'd pay for a prototype now.

Likewise, something clean enough for weak signal work from 1200-3000, 2300-2400.

Oh, and of course, running Debian - everything you need for arm64 is already there :)