[Hackrf-dev] A couple of questions aout hackrf one

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Fri Dec 9 20:48:03 EST 2016

On Dec 9, 2016, at 12:30, John Trager <jtrager at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> When I use the Pentoo Linux or windows versions of GNU, and either run the hackrf one in receive or transmit, it remains in the receive or transmit mode after clicking on EXIT.  Is this normal (I wouldn’t think so)?

Unfortunately, yes, this is normal in my experience. If the application does not properly close the device (or is terminated by signal and thus does not have the opportunity to) then the HackRF One will remain in the last mode it was in. I wish the HackRF firmware would understand when the process talking to it is kaput and reset, but it doesn't.

If you are using GNU Radio Companion, avoid using the “Kill” button in GRC and exit your flow graph from its own GUI (if it has one) instead.

Staying in receive mode is largely harmless, however; it will not prevent the next process from taking control.

> Also, I’m able to receive a signal on the 2M amateur band using hackrf_transfer –f 144201000 –c 127, but using the same command, I can’t receive a signal using hackf_transfer –f 1296101000 –c 127.  I have each display on the receiver set to 1kHz below the frequency in the command, and I’m receiving using a SSB USB mode.  I also tried other settings, using the –x 15 parameter, but still don’t receive anything on the 1.2Ghz band receiver.  Is there something else I may need to do given the higher frequency?

No special settings are required for different frequencies. However, local oscillator frequency error will have a larger effect on higher frequencies — have you tuned around with your receiver, to check for the signal off the nominal frequency and outside of the SSB receive bandwidth?