[Hackrf-dev] Static/warbling non reception issue

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:31:01 EDT 2016

On 28 April 2016 at 20:28, davidmarkusgoldstein at gmail.com
<davidmarkusgoldstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, this might not be a tech support list but I don't know what to do

Hi David,

We're happy to provide tech support through this mailing list; I'm
sure we'll be able to help you.

> ...everything seems set up properly but I get static and broken up voice
> broadcast on local fm.  I think it's the alc889 Realtek sound card doing
> this...I had this issue with a winradio g 315 because I'm running win 7
> 64bit.

Are you using SDR# on your Win7 install?  Could you give us some
examples of the settings you are using?  If it's easier, you can
attach a screenshot of the setting panel in SDR# (or whichever tool
you're using).  You could also attach a screenshot of the tool so that
we can see how strong the signal is compared to the background noise.

>  They tweaked a driver for me and I got the winradio running but I
> don't know what to do now with the hackrf I have, if it is the sound card at
> all.  Any tips?

One option would be to try not using realtime processing.  Capture ~20
seconds FM station to a file, then demodulate it from the file
afterwards.  Finally, you should be able to play back the file as
audio.  If it's a problem with the quality of the signal being
received, the output will still be choppy, but if the output is smooth
we can look at where else things may be going wrong.

It certainly looks like you have enough CPU power and RAM to support
the task that you're trying to do, so we'll have to narrow down where
the problem could be.

Thanks,
  Dominic