[Hackrf-dev] HackRf Shielding

Don Gray dgray00 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:56:43 EDT 2016

I'm back "on the air" with a new HackRf thanks to the excellent support offered by this list and GSG.
When I purchased my original HackRf I purchased the RF Shield kit along with it. I never got around to installing it as I wasn't really sure I needed the extra shielding and as well, wanted to avoid unnecessarily disturbing anything on the PCB (i.e. "don't fix what isn't broken").
For my new HackRf I have purchased the extruded aluminium enclosure and am preparing to install the HackRf into it.  This would also be a good time to install the RF Shield kit. My question is; are both necessary / beneficial?  I expect that aluminum case will provide good shielding from external sources. Does the RF Shield kit suppress noise from the HackRf board itself or is it somewhat redundant once the HackRf is installed in the case?
Don