[Hackrf-dev] Retune time for the hackRF One

Patrick Sathyanathan wpats at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:26:00 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have implemented a scanner software on Linux that directly uses the hardware API's for the hackRF, airspy, bladeRF, etc. It is similar to osmocom_spectrum_sense but does not use the gr-osmosdr interface as that program does. The scanner outputs panoramic spectrum by receiving a few packets at a frequency, retuning, and repeating. For the hackRF the scanner showed many spurious signals with the initial setting where I discarded one packet of 131072 samples after each retune. At 20Msps this corresponds to a retune delay of around 6ms. I found from some online sources that the device needs a USB retune time of 2ms. I finally got a reasonable looking spectrum by increasing the return delay to 200ms.

Why do I need such a large delay ? Is there any way to reduce host based retune time ?

Thanks for any help,

--Patrick