[Hackrf-dev] HackRF not working - help

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 16:18:14 EDT 2016

On 4 April 2016 at 12:55, Don Gray <dgray00 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I had tried this before but must have missed the step of pressing the reset
> while holding down the DFU.
> Does this mean the next step is to reload the firmware?

Yes!  From DFU mode it's a two stage process:

1) DFU update
Instructions can be found here:
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Updating-Firmware#only-if-necessary-recovering-the-spi-flash-firmware
You need to copy the .dfu file from the release to the HackRF using dfu-util

At this point you will hopefully have a working firmware running on
the HackRF.  You can check this by running hackrf_info, gqrx,
osmocom_fft, etc, but be careful, the firmware is only in RAM and a
reset will cause it to be lost.

2) SPI flash update
This is the non-volatile version of the firmware, instructions are
here: https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Updating-Firmware#only-if-necessary-recovering-the-spi-flash-firmware
After that you'll need to reset the HackRF, then you can test everything again.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
  Dominic