[Hackrf-dev] How to Scan 2.4 Ghz, 5Ghz Wi-Fi and non Wi-Fi device using HackrfOne

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:52:54 EST 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 03:48, chandu <chandu73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just need to scan the range of frequencies related to WiFi (both 2.4GHz
and 5GHz) and decide which channels are busy and which are not. It's like a
special WiFi Channel Scanner, only that we will also take into account
non-WiFi signals. So the solution will probably not need to "fully decode"
the signals, especially if it's clear that the hardware cannot handle it.
Is such a solution possible?

There are a number of tools to look at the power in a given range of
frequencies, which one you use will probably depend on whether or not you
want to automate the process and do something with the output or if you
would prefer to just view it on screen.

You could use osmocom_spectrum_sense, which is part of the gr-osmocom tools
and will perform an FFT, giving you power in each frequency bin.

Alternatively, you could use something visual, such as gqrx, sdr# or
osmocomm_fft to view a waterfall plot and see transient signals.

I would suggest trying some of these tools to see which works best for your
situation.

Dominic

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Dominic Spill <dominicgs at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3 November 2015 at 02:13, chandu <chandu73 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > am very new to this forum, and don't have any idea on how to start
using this device.

>> There are many resources available to learn about using SDR hardware, I
would particularly recommend the video series that Mike has made available
here: http://greatscottgadgets.com/sdr/

>> The easiest was to get started is to use a tool such as GQRX or SDR# and
take a look around the spectrum.  You can leave your gain settings fairly
low (amp off) and should be able to pick up local FM stations, see adb-s
traffic, etc

>> > wondering that is it possible to scan  2.4 Ghz , 5Ghz Wi-Fi and non
Wi-Fi device using the HackrfOne??

>> HackRF One is able to receive in both of those bands, but decoding
modern wifi with SDR may require some software development and in many
cases isn't possible due to hardware constraints.  Wifi channels are a
variety of widths, 802.11b/g use 20MHz bands, which can be captured with
HackRF One, but newer wifi variants use 40 or 80MHz channels, which is far
too wide for most SDR hardware to receive.

>> The most promising 802.11 SDR project that I've seen is here:
https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11  It is installable using pybombs,
but I have never tried it.