[Hackrf-dev] hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB

Chris Hallinan challinan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:16:40 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Tom N <vsboost at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes that will fix the problem.  Or for a more permanent fix write
>> "blacklist hackrf" to a file called
>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-hackrf.conf

Hmm, I'm using kernel 3.12, definitely no hackrf module, but I still
can generate the same error simply by issuing hackrf_info in a short
loop.

root at steppeeagle:~# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.12.34-yocto-standard (chris at speedy) (gcc version 4.9.1
(GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 16 17:51:36 EDT 2015
root at steppeeagle:~# lsmod | grep hackrf
root at steppeeagle:~# hackrf_info
hackrf_open() failed: HACKRF_ERROR_LIBUSB (-1000)

I'm using a very recent snapshot of hackrf that I built locally from
github/master branch.  Firmware version 2014.08.1.

Once the error happens, it is permanent.  Unplugging and replugging
the USB cable resolves it.

So at least in my case, it has nothing to do with a kernel module
getting in the way.

Regards,

Chris