[Hackrf-dev] <DKIM> Re: <DKIM> Re: HackRF with Raspberry Pi 2 Overruns

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Thu Mar 5 13:54:56 EST 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 16:34, rgk <rgkenders at hotmail.com> wrote:

> It would seem that any hi-bandwidth use of USB regardless of whether its on
> a pi or on a PC is going to be the same. A typical laptop has a chip in it
> that handles USB IO and contains a USB hub. The HackRF works OK there. This
> in my opinion is not the issue. It has to be the CPU...can it handle the
> work load or not.

I think this is a rather simplistic view and the CPU does not simply
"bit bang" USB — it is aided by a core/ASIC that looks after this. And
while there are standards, not all devices are made equal, some will
perform better or less so, and have fewer or more wrinkles. To put it
another way: if you experienced graphics performance issues with a
desktop PC, you wouldn't assume that the CPU to be the only factor...

Regards,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back