[Hackrf-dev] ubuntu 14.04lts

Paul Connolly eeipcy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 17:55:59 EDT 2015

Either way is fine, just choose one and stick to it. Me personalty I use
packages, but I re-pointed my Debian machine from |wheezy to jessie|, so
I at the cost of being behind on security updates (machine is not
networked) I'm slightly closer to the cutting edge, but still behind
using  |ppa:gqrx/|(|releases| and snapshots), mostly because I did not
know that it existed when I set the machine.

packages
-------------
pros:
Easy to install (
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Installing-gnuradio-on-Ubuntu-14.04-with-the-packaging-manager
)
Fast to install
Easy to update (sudo apt-get update)
Fast to update
cons:
Can lag behind the cutting edge of changes to the source code
(|releases|, but maybe not snapshots )
In theory a malicious person could own your machine, but the same is
true from an OS distributor.

pybombs
pros:
Works on more Linux distributions
At the cutting edge of changes to the source code
Easy to install ( http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki )
Easy to update (./pybombs update)
More secure since you have built the binaries, no  need to trust that
the package binaries are not malicious (99.999999999% of the time, not
an issue).
cons:
Always at the cutting edge of changes to the source code
Slower to install and update - compiling all the source code into
binaries takes time