[Hackrf-dev] ubuntu 14.04lts

Paul Connolly eeipcy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:32:13 EDT 2015

I don't use Ubuntu,  but after reading this
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Installing-gnuradio-on-Ubuntu-14.04-with-the-packaging-manager
I would guess one of two things:
That the nightly snapshot build that you installed may have had a
problem, you are probably better off using the release builds.
(daily/nightly snapshot builds are not always guaranteed to work, 99.99%
of the time they do, but release builds should always work)

Or more likely you have "gr-iqbal 0.37.1.5.d4fd4d-1" installed and then
you tried to force overwrite this with
"libgnuradio-iqbalance_0.37.2-gqrx~trusty8_i386" (and at a guess other
packages as well). The first package looks like it is from the main
Ubuntu package repository and the latter is from the gqrx snapshot
package repository. It looks to me like you tried to install gnuradio
from the main Ubuntu package repository, that didn't work for you so
then you added the gqrx snapshot package repository and then tried
again. Without having first removed the old packages, you now have two
copies of most things on your system mostly in two different locations
and everything is confused because of mismatched library files.

I'd remove everything and try again:
(delete any packages that can no longer be downloaded from any
repository, out of date junk packages, free up disk space):
$ sudo apt-get autoclean
(remove the following packages and any configuration files)
$ sudo apt-get purge gqrx gnuradio gr-osmosdr hackrf uhd-host
(remove any unused dependency packages)
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
(remove the snapshot repository)
$ sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:gqrx/*snapshots*
(update the list of available packages)
$ sudo apt-get update

If the above did NOT work without errors then I'd do the following (if
it did work without errors then I'd skip to the nest paragraph) :
(Use the following line with caution)
$ sudo apt-get --force-yes remove gqrx gnuradio gr-osmosdr hackrf uhd-host
$ sudo apt-get autoremove
$ sudo apt-get update

Let's assume that your system is in a good state now I'd follow the
advise here
https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Installing-gnuradio-on-Ubuntu-14.04-with-the-packaging-manager
and use the release builds.
(add the gqrx releases repository)
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gqrx/*releases*
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install gqrx gnuradio gr-osmosdr hackrf

Like I said I don't have or use Ubuntu, but the above commands will
probably work.