[Hackrf-dev] HackRF One coverage

Paul Connolly eeipcy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:38:24 EST 2015

I just double checked in the source of
gr-osmosdr/lib/hackrf/hackrf_sink_c.cc and I find it a bit confusing
that the command line hackrf_transfer tool uses enable amplifier(RF) and
BB gain, but the gr-osmosdr block uses RF and IF for the same two TX gains.
So for a osmosdr sink block, when using a hackrf, the TX gains are:
RF 0 to 14 in steps of 14 (off or on)
IF 0 to 47 in steps of 1
And for a osmosdr source block, when using a hackrf, the RX gains are:
RF 0 to 14 in steps of 14 (off or on)
IF 0 to 40 in steps of 8
BB 0 to 62 in steps of 2

So RF corresponds to the "-a" switch which makes sense for both RX and
TX, even though it is two p[physically separate amplifiers on the board.
IF (RX) corresponds to "-l"
BB (RX) corresponds to "-g"
Logically I would expect BB (TX) to correspond to "-x", but it is
actually IF (TX), that is confusing.
        [-a amp_enable] # RX/TX RF amplifier 1=Enable, 0=Disable.
        [-l gain_db] # RX LNA (IF) gain, 0-40dB, 8dB steps
        [-g gain_db] # RX VGA (baseband) gain, 0-62dB, 2dB steps
        [-x gain_db] # TX VGA (IF) gain, 0-47dB, 1dB steps