[Hackrf-dev] Sensitivity

Paul Connolly eeipcy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 14:32:19 EDT 2015

The sample rate of a RTL dongle is 28.8MSPS at an unknown number of
bits, this is decimated inside the RTL2838 chip down to 2.4MSPS. That is
the maximum data rate that can be transferred out  in debug mode without
dropping samples. So to compare the two of them you would need to
decimate the 20MSPS of the HackRF down to 1.66MSPS. Then you could
compare the two devices. The more bandwidth the more noise, so the RTL
may actually look worse in the comparison, I've never actually done the
comparison. It is like trying to compare a banana to a unicycle - they
can both make you fall, but they are not the same.