[Hackrf-dev] Testing a new HackRF One

Dave Smith fvya415 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 20:12:01 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 22:59:34PM EDT, Jon B wrote:
> I'm not sure my new HackRF One works.

I'm having exactly the same problem, with SDR# I see a noise floor at about
-70-75dB and almost nothing else. I've checked drivers, LNA/VGA settings,
and so on as other people have suggested, and used a log-periodic and
generic monopole and get the same results. With SDR Console I get better
results (signals are visible), but I can't demodulate any of the signals I
see. The results are really strange, AM signals in various places on the FM
band (you can tell it's AM from both the waterfall diagram and trying to
demodulate). They're unlikely to be images because they only appear in the
FM band (it looks like there's a marker every 10MHz, I assume there's some
clock in the HackRF that's doing that).

I've also found SDR# to be pretty flaky, it wants to write its config into
its install location under %ProgramFiles% and then dies with an exception
when it can't, and after pressing start/stop a few times first the spectrum
display freezes (although the waterfall continues) and then the waterfall
goes as well, at which point I need to reset the HackRF to restore
operation. SDR Console doesn't have this problem so I'm not sure if it's
SDR# messing up the HackRF config or SDR# screwing itself up.

Dave.