[Hackrf-dev] Run out of options to get HackRF One working :(

ccrypti at nym.hush.com ccrypti at nym.hush.com
Thu Oct 30 03:26:47 EDT 2014

Hello World,

I just received my hackrf one and tried to listen to any fm music
radio for starters. Didn't work out, so i've been for hours and
hours trying, searching what could be the problem. Before this i
had some experience with the rtl usb sticks (e4000) which was fun
and a nice intro for a newbie in general. Below what i tried so far
beside digging through alot of information from many different
sources. Beside the FM disaster, tried AM and a few other
combinations on specific frequenties:

Windows 7 (different computer)

- Tried latest SDR# version in Windows 7
 (used zadig for usb driver inst)
- Tried different usb ports just in case
- Tried SDR-Radio latest

Windows 8.1 (different computer)

- Tried latest SDR# version in Windows 7
 (used zadig for usb driver inst)
- Tried different usb ports just in case

Linux (laptop 1):

- Tried Pentoo Linux live from usb , latest version, GQRX
- Checked with hackrf_info and got the info as expected
- Tried the GNURadio Ubuntu linux live from usb, latest version,
GQRX
- Tried another tool though it was cutesdr not sure but also no go

Linux (laptop 2):

- Tried Pentoo Linux live from usb , latest version, GQRX
- Checked with hackrf_info and got the info as expected
- Tried the GNURadio Ubuntu linux live from usb, latest version,
GQRX

Firmware:

- At this point i upgraded the firmware etc using the official
instructions but didn't change a thing except newer firmware

Antenna:

- Verified if Ant500 was broken (continuity test and physical check
of spring not touching shield, alignment etc)
- Tried a wire instead of antenna

Misc:

- Tried all kind of gain, if, rf, iq (etc) settings / combinations

The "best" result i get is in linux mode but the spectrum shows
peaks with equal spacing between them from left to right. The
frequencies i expected to hear something was just noise.

I'd really hate to send it back and ask for a refund if there is
ANYTHING else i can do which i might have missed as a newbie.

Any advise is welcome guys !

Micky