[Hackrf-dev] Possibly Defective HackRF One?

Scott Halligan scott at scan-ne.net
Tue Oct 28 15:51:49 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am coming to the unfortunate conclusion that I may have a defective
HackRF One. I purchased it via NooElec and received it back in August.
Since day one I have noticed reception to be overall poor when compared
to other devices, both standard scanner/receivers, my bladeRF, and even
sadly an RTL dongle. I operate in Windows exclusively (except obviously
for firmware update; see below).

I initially chalked this up to my inexperience with finding the right
balance of gain and filtering, but I'm at the point now where I really
don't think it's me any longer. I am not using an ANT500; in each case I
am comparing using the same software, MSPS, bandwidth, etc along with
various external tower mounted antenna both at home and at work (local
PD with scanner antenna on tower). Sadly without fail in each case the
HackRF One is coming up in last place. The final straw was viewing known
signals between 154-156 MHz using SDR# and comparing the HackRF One to
the RTL dongle. Signals are louder, stronger, and clearer with the RTL
dongle.

I have updated the HackRF One to the latest firmware and CPLD using
Pentoo. Both went without a hitch. I have not made any efforts to crack
the case to see if anything appears obvious, considering it might void
any warranty. I have not transmitted at all with it, nor have I had it
near any strong RF sources.

I'm sure a few folks may continue to think that my inexperience is the
culprit, but I doubt that is the case at this point. I'm willing to send
it back to have it looked at if that's feasible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/assistance.

--
Scott
Webmaster - Scan New England