[Hackrf-dev] basic tx/rx with HackRF?

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:34:34 EDT 2014

0) please take a moment to familiarize yourself with applicable regulations
- FCC part 15 and part 97 (assuming you're in the US) should offer some
advice about what you're allowed to transmit on a particular frequency. You
might want to look at getting an amateur radio license. On to the instant
gratification...

1) write a simple flow graph to generate an audio tone (or read audio from
a .wav file); feed it to your choice of modulators (WBFM, maybe); connect
the output of the modulator block to the appropriate demodulator; and play
the audio through an audio sink. Apply instrumentation (waterfalls, ffts,
constellation plots, audio outputs) liberally to follow your signals. By
not having hardware in the loop, you completely avoid transmitting
unintentional signals and it should be easy to tell if the rest of your
flow graph is doing what it should, without wondering if your hardware is
not doing the right thing.

2) get one of those little rtlsdr tuners and the appropriate rf cables (I'm
using MCX-to-SMA). Directly connect the hackrf to the rtlsdr, then transmit
whatever you like. The signal will be contained within the cable, and there
is probably little chance of damage - or you'll only wreck a cheap device.
You could do this with two hackrf devices, but be careful that you don't
roast the front end amp.

3) have look at some simulation frameworks like gr-winelo and
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC#Wireless-Networks-In-the-Loop
... maybe those will be handy at some point.

4) google for [site:github.com filetype:grc transmitter] - you'll find
loads of other examples.