[Hackrf-dev] success report

ryan ryan.defelice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 12:23:12 EDT 2013

I can echo Max's experience on Mac OS. I was able to get all the prerequisites from Mac Ports up to and including GNURadio 3.6 and was able to fairly easily compile gr-osmosdr and libhackrf from source after setting a few environment variables and making a symbolic link (detailed below) so that the python in ports is used instead of the default python installation (some may choose to not do this, but i found it easiest to use python in ports).

---one time---
sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/python2.7 /opt/local/bin/python

---put in startup script---
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:$PATH
export PYTHONPATH=/opt/local/lib:/opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib:/usr/local/lib:$DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

The biggest problem I had was that I forgot to flash the firmware and kept getting a LibUSB error every time a program tried to use the radio.

I used GQRX to do the same FM spectrum visualization when I first got the Jawbreaker up and running. Just using a paperclip as an antenna I was able to "see" and tune to well over a dozen stations in the FM broadcast band.

Here's a quick video demo of visualizing just about the entire FM broadcast band at once and tuning stations by adjusting the filter with the mouse:
https://vimeo.com/69288636

Thanks to everyone who made this a reality.

-Ryan