[Hackrf-dev] Receiving Digital LMR (P25 CAI)

Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina zerochaos at gentoo.org
Mon Aug 26 00:15:58 EDT 2013

On 08/25/2013 09:42 PM, Luke Berndt wrote:

> Hi Guys - I have been playing around a bit and found an easy way to receive

> and playback digital LMR. More and more of the radio systems are going from

> narrow band FM to Digital. This makes it tough to listen to them on GQRX.

> DSD is a great program which can decoded the audio you get when you tune in

> a system in GQRX, but you either have to run it on another machine with a

> audio cable in between or figure out how to do a virtual audio cable on

> your machine.

> Luckily, someone wrapped the DSD libraries so they can be accessed as GRC

> blocks. I have put together a GRC file and a Python program that make it a

> little easier to use the block.

> The files and write-up are here: https://github.com/robotastic/gr-dsd

Just for anyone considering packaging this, or redistributing this, or I
suppose using this: The codecs necessary to decode P25 (IMBE) are
proprietary and you can't use them without a license. You will note
that this code is gpl3, but that doesn't actual give you permission from
the rights owners to use it. The situation is far better described on
the original dsd page than by me:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Digital_Speech_Decoder_(software_package)

- -Zero_Chaos