[Hackrf-dev] DFU

Jared Boone jared at sharebrained.com
Wed Aug 7 21:32:43 EDT 2013

On Aug 7, 2013, at 5:30 PM, Graham Cottew <gc at zendata.com> wrote:

> Yes I can do that as well but it doesn't "stick" and as soon as I power off it's back to ground zero.

> I have to go through DFU again to get the board up able to be recognised by hackrf_info.

DFU mode does not program the SPI flash by itself. The chain of events if you have invalid code in the flash on the HackRF is:

- Boot in DFU mode. The LPC4330 has built-in ROM code that implements the standard DFU protocol and allows code to be loaded into RAM and executed.
- Do "make program" or otherwise use a DFU tool to load a RAM-only image of the HackRF firmware. This enables the HackRF to behave like a HackRF, and it will respond to commands like hackrf_info. More importantly, the HackRF will support SPI flashing via the hackrf_spiflash command.
- Do a "hackrf_spiflash -w" step, where you write a "ROM-to-RAM" image (designed to load from SPI flash into the processor's RAM) into the SPI flash chip on the HackRF.
- Power cycle the HackRF and it should boot from SPI flash and behave properly.

It's not the simplest process, but it's what we have right now. If it still doesn't work, you know where to find us. :-) There are also more details in the Wiki link Mike Ossmann just sent to the list.

- Jared