[CMCEmail] Another CMC Outing this weekend!

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Mon Feb 13 23:22:54 EST 2017

CMC Members,

Southern Utah Adventure outing this weekend!   Contact Tim Hoover to get on
this outing!

February 18th - 20th                 Saturday - Monday
Presidents Day-Utah Adventure

The weather in southern Utah in February is very hard to predict, so we will
have plans to accommodate whatever we may encounter. However, the tentative
plan is to spend a day at Cedar Breaks and two days in Zion. If you don't
know Cedar Breaks, think of a mini version of Bryce Canyon, but with no
people. It is four miles from the trailhead to the overlook. There will be
deep snow which will likely be groomed. The distance may be covered by
hiking, snowshoeing, or cross country skiing. The view is spectacular.

Two additional days are planned to be spent in Zion. Weather permitting, I
would like to descend some canyons. Canyoneering experience is not
necessary, but required gear includes a helmet, wetsuit, and personal
rappelling gear. All this can be rented, if needed, in Springdale, just
outside the park. If the weather does not cooperate, we can spend the time
hiking.

These should be considered tentative plans only and participants will need
to be flexible.  Participants should be in appropriate physical condition
for winter adventuring, and be comfortable rappelling and down climbing
modest but unprotected drops.

Zion has become super popular recently, to the point of people being turned
away during certain busy periods. This trip provides an opportunity to visit
the park during a time of minimal visitation and maximal beauty. Also, we
will be sleeping indoors at my house in Springdale, so no worries about
winter camping!

If interested contact Tim Hoover: frisbeedog02 at yahoo.com

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Tim Hoover