[CMCEmail] CMC January Outings Schedule!

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Mon Jan 2 19:41:52 EST 2012

NOTE: IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE ON A CMC OUTING YOU MUST BE A MEMBER OF THE
CMC

January 14th - 16th Friday - Monday
Red Rocks
Join us for a weekend of climbing sandstone in Red Rocks outside Las Vegas.
We have a campsite for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night which allows for 3
days of climbing if you have MLK day off - feel free to join us for any or
all of the days. Participants have the option to have climbing partners
arranged in advance (see roster or contact the leaders if you need help
lining up a partner) Those without climbing partners arranged in advance can
meet and climb as a group. We plan to head to a location in the sun with
something for everyone. Send email with experience and partner arrangements
to Mike ( <mailto:mwatsonphoto at gmail.com> mwatsonphoto at gmail.com) or Will (
<mailto:wbohle at gmail.com> wbohle at gmail.com).
LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Mike Watson and Will Bohle

January 20th Saturday
San Jacinto Snowshoe Trip

We will meet at the tram Saturday at 8:00am. After taking the tram ride to
the top, we will climb San Jacinto. Great winter training and some altitude
too. Contact Jan: <mailto:jlorenzen1 at cox.net> jlorenzen1 at cox.net or
(949) 366-185

LEADER ORGANIZER: Jan Lorenzen

January 21st -22nd Saturday - Sunday
Mojave Desert Peaks

Some easy to moderate peaks in the Mojave Desert around Barstow with some
cross-country scrambles and road-hiking with moderate gain to summit Calico
Peak (4,542'), Lane Mountain (4,522'), and maybe Opal Mountain (3,950').
Contact leader at: <mailto:terryjflood at gmail.com> terryjflood at gmail.com.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Terry Flood and Henry Arnebold

February 11th Saturday
San Gorgonio Snow Day

Grab your skis, snowshoes, or split board, and join me for a fun day of
winter conditioning while touring the San Gorgonio Wilderness. We will meet
at the South Fork Trailhead, and depending on conditions, we'll either head
for Dry Lake, or the north slope/couloir on Charlton Peak. Send e-mail with
experience/conditioning to Joe at <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White

February 18th -19th Saturday - Sunday
Red Rock Canyon, Nevada

Moderate day-hiking from the Red Rock Summit trailhead to climb North Peak
(7,047') and other peaks in that area. Contact leader at:
<mailto:terryjflood at gmail.com> terryjflood at gmail.com.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Terry Flood and Henry Arnebold

February 24th -26th Friday/Sunday
Joshua Tree

Come join us for a weekend of rock climbing in Joshua Tree National Park.
We have a campsite for Friday and Saturday night which allows for 3 days of
climbing - feel free to join us for any or all of the days. Participants
have the option to have climbing partners arranged in advance (see roster or
contact the leaders if you need help lining up a partner). Those without
climbing partners arranged in advance will meet Saturday morning and climb
as a group. We'll have a community campfire each night, and may go in to
town for dinner - we may not.... Parking will be limited on this trip, so
carpooling is a must. Send email with experience and partner arrangements
to Joe (josephlwhite at earthlink.net) or Ron ( <mailto:rsnorton473 at yahoo.com>
rsnorton473 at yahoo.com).

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White and Ron Norton

March 2nd - 4th Friday/Sunday
AIARE Level 1 Avalanche Seminar

June Lake

If you have been putting off getting this important training, now is your
chance to take the training with fellow CMC members at a greatly reduced
price. We have worked out a deal with Sierra Mountain Guides to provide a 3
day (24 hour) Level I AIARE (American Institute for Avalanche Research and
Education) avalanche seminar. More details can be found on their website:

<http://www.sierramtnguides.com/courses/Courses%20Tier%203/Avalanche/AIARELe
vel1AvalancheCourse.htm>
http://www.sierramtnguides.com/courses/Courses%20Tier%203/Avalanche/AIARELev
el1AvalancheCourse.htm

If interested, or if you have any questions email Ron (
<mailto:rsnorton473 at yahoo.com> rsnorton473 at yahoo.com).

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Ron Norton

March 16th -18th Friday/Sunday
[...]

Death Valley Peaks

Some easy to moderate peaks in the Butte Valley area within Death Valley
with high-clearance vehicles required and 4wd recommended. Moderate climbs
of Striped Butte (4,774'), Gold Hill (5,492'), and Between benchmark
(5,251') are all dayhikes with some cross-country scrambling. We may stay
in some restored old miners cabins if they are available and accessible to
our vehicles.

Contact leader at: <mailto:terryjflood at gmail.com> terryjflood at gmail.com.

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Terry Flood and Steve Smith

March 17th - 18th Saturday - Sunday
Winter Membership Outing

This year's Winter Membership Outing snow camp will be held on the north
slopes of San Gorgonio, in Horse Meadows. Join us for one or two days of
snow camping, practicing snow skills, and/or skiing and snowshoeing. Ski,
snowshoe, or hike in (1.5 miles+/-) and set up camp near the Horse Meadows.
We plan to practice snow anchors, ice axe arrest, "Z" and "C" crevasse
rescue systems, roped team travel and fixed line travel. Note: if we are
lacking local snow, the outing will relocate to the sierra. Send email with
experience/conditioning to Joe ( <mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net>
josephlwhite at earthlink.net) or Tom ( <mailto:tritchie at rkmattorneys.com>
tritchie at rkmattorneys.com).

LEADERS/ORGANIZERS: Joe White, Tom Ritchie

March 31st Saturday
Galena Peak (9,330')

Galena Peak (9,330) is a fun local snow climb near San Gorgonio Mountain in
the San Bernardino National Forest. This is a great pre-sierra season
warm-up snow climb, 6 miles with 3,200 feet of gain. Ice axe and crampons
required. Send email with experience/conditioning to Joe
<mailto:josephlwhite at earthlink.net> josephlwhite at earthlink.net.

LEADER/ORGANIZER: Joe White

April 13th -15th Friday/Sunday