[CMCEmail] Cascade Volcanoes Week of June 29 (private trip)

CMCEmail@Californiamountaineer.com cmcemail at californiamountaineer.com
Mon Jun 1 09:53:30 EDT 2009

Join me to climb a couple fantastic routes on two beautiful Cascade
volcanoes during the week of June 29 (Fourth of July holiday week).

Routes will include the Adams glacier on Mount Adams, WA,
http://www.summitpost.org/route/155604/adams-glacier.html

and the Jefferson Park Glacier on Mount Jefferson, OR,
http://www.summitpost.org/route/159096/jefferson-park-glacier.html.

These both have reputations as challenging, quality and interesting glacier
routes.

Climbing partners should be very comfortable mountaineering on steep
glaciated terrain as these are both advanced, glacier climbs. I will try to
put together a team of three or four experienced climbers on a 60 m rope.
Team members should be adept at roped travel negotiating crevasses and
placing protection (pickets and/or ice screws), and should be practiced with
crevasse rescue (z-pulley, c-pulley techniques). All team members should
have appropriate equipment, and a high level of physical conditioning.

I have not climbed either of these two routes, so it will very much be a
team effort for route finding, climbing, and descending.

Proposed itinerary as follows:
Monday, June 29 (or early morning Tuesday, June 30): Fly to Portland, OR

Tuesday, June 30: Depart Portland NLT 10 AM. Drive (2 hours) and approach
Jefferson Park Glacier (~5 miles, budget 5 hours), Bivouac.

Wednesday, July 1: Alpine start (midnight-2 AM), summit Mount Jefferson
(10,497'). Return to car, drive toward Portland (~2 hours), hotel, rest.

Thursday, July 2: Depending on general feeling, rest day... or, drive to Mt.
Adams (3 hours), approach Adams Glacier to Killen Meadows snow camp (~3
miles, budget 4 hours), Bivouac.

Friday, July 3: Alpine start (midnight-2 AM), summit Mount Adams (12,276').
Return to car, drive to Portland (3 hours).

Saturday, July 4: (Contingency day). If on original schedule, return home,
or stay in or around Portland for the Fourth of July.

Sunday, July 5: Return home.

I hope I've described this fairly accurately. This is definitely not a
guided trip, but an alpine climbing team effort. You should be experienced
and efficient mountaineering on glaciated volcanoes. The proposed routes
will be challenging and will require a high level of conditioning, and a
concentrated team effort.

Please send a detailed note describing your mountaineering experience
(especially in the last couple years). Additionally, if you have any doubts,
please discuss with me your current level of physical conditioning. I simply
want to ensure that everyone on the trip knows what to expect, and has a
great time.

Brian Granger

granger_brian at yahoo.com