[CharterSchools] Einstein Charter Schools expanding; will add high school in 2016

charterschools at LACharter.org charterschools at LACharter.org
Thu Mar 26 12:34:13 EDT 2015

March 26, 2015

Contact: Dan Davis, Einstein Development Director (504) 376.5080 or Heather Harper, ECCS Public Relations, (504) 897-6110

Einstein adding 500 Students for 2015-16 School Year in Grades Pre-K-8; school to expand middle school on Sarah T. Reed Campus
Einstein Charter School to grow to High School for 2016-17 School Year

Applications being accepted now in grades Pre-K-8! Go to einsteincharter.org

Einstein adds 500 seats

Einstein Charter School is adding 500 additional seats for new students in grades Pre-K-8 for the 2015-16 school year, announced Chief Executive Officer Shawn Toranto.
To accommodate this expansion in the fall, Einstein will open the first independent middle school in New Orleans East since Hurricane Katrina, serving grades 6-8.  The new school, Einstein Charter Middle at Sarah Towles Reed, will occupy its own floor of the former high school.
“This campus marks the opening of Einstein’s third school,” said Ms. Toranto.  Einstein’s second school, Einstein Extension, opened in the fall of 2013 at the site of the former Intercultural Charter School.  Under Einstein’s management, the Extension school rose from a failing grade to a “B’ in just one year, a first in Louisiana history according to Orleans Parish School Board Deputy Superintendent Kathleen Padian.
Einstein Extension and the future Einstein Charter Middle are a replication of Einstein’s Village De L’Est campus, the first open-admissions elementary charter school in the East.  Einstein Charter is the only top performing, tuition free, open-admissions, “B” rated PK-8 Elementary School serving New Orleans East. Einstein’s certified teachers provide students with a rigorous, personalized education by focusing on their individual strengths and needs.  Einstein is also proud to operate New Orleans largest and most successful ELL program.
“Personally, I am delighted with my son’s school,” said Brandon Armour, father of an Einstein 4th grade student.
To apply for a PK-8 seat at any Einstein school for next year,  applications must be dropped off in person at Einstein’s main campus, 5100 Cannes St.  Einstein’s lower and middle schools do not participate in ONE APP.  Applicants should go to einsteincharter.org or call 324-7450 for more information.

Einstein to open a high school in 2016

Einstein C.E.O. Shawn Toranto also announced that Einstein Charter Schools will open a high school at the Reed campus for the 2016-17 school year.  The high school, Einstein Charter High at Sarah Towles Reed, will open 9th grade only in August 2016.  Einstein will use a slow growth model for the high school and add one additional grade level each year through grade 12. Einstein’s Village De L’Est and Sherwood Forest campuses will continue to serve grades Pre-K-5.
"There are exciting things happening at Einstein Charter Schools,” said C.E.O. Toranto.  “Einstein is thrilled to expand and extend our tradition of excellence from Pre-K to 12th grade.  Our students deserve the best education. The high demand for spots at Einstein Charter Schools speaks volumes about our commitment to the community and the amazing students, staff, parents and teachers we have here.”
Einstein Charter High will be the first school to offer career and technical education programming in New Orleans East, said C.E.O. Toranto. The school will also offer a rigorous college preparatory education.  As a community school in the multicultural Michoud Community, the school will offer competitive sports, band and many unique extra-curricular opportunities, she said.
“My only regret is that Einstein’s High School is not opening sooner,” said Ms. Leslie Clayton, Einstein parent.
Einstein was selected to operate at Reed after series of community meetings and presentations between the Recovery School District, community organizations, and stakeholders in New Orleans East.

The Brylski Company
(504) 897-6110
3418 Coliseum Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70115