[Hackrf-dev] Attempting to Transmit GPS Using the HackRF One

Karl Koscher supersat at cs.washington.edu
Sat Jul 11 02:34:38 EDT 2020

Sooooo several comments:

1) It's very possible your signal is too strong. IIRC, GPS signals are
usually around -150 to -160 dBm at the receiver. The HackRF can transmit at
about +10 dBm. That is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than most GPS receivers
expect.

2) BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT TRANSMITTING GPS SIGNALS. Even Faraday cages don't
provide perfect isolation -- I've used one with 90 dB of isolation before.
Of course, +10 dBm - 90 dB is... -80 dBm, which is 80 dB louder than a
typical GPS signal! Even if you hard-wire your HackRF to your receivers
(through attenuators, of course), you'll likely be leaking a relatively
strong signal.

3) You will likely have to transmit a signal for at least 15 minutes to get
a lock, as your transmitter isn't synced to actual GPS time. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_first_fix. Phones may also have
trouble locking because they might rely on A-GPS for the ephemeris and
almanac data, as well as coarse time sync.