[Hackrf-dev] Attempting to Transmit GPS Using the HackRF One

John Akin jakin at Asset-intertech.com
Thu Jul 9 16:59:06 EDT 2020

I am working on a project that involves a GPS receiver and I need a GPS generating device to produce test data.  I thought the HackRF One sounded perfect for the job.

I have gone through the tutorial videos on Great Scott Gadget's site and implemented the FM radio project, so I believe that I have verified my HackRF is definitely working as an FM receiver.  Now I am seeking guidance in the transmitting of GPS.

I found several tutorial videos on line that make it look easy enough and, following their examples, I have been using the HackRF transfer command to transmit the GPS signal (the command syntax I have used is, "hackrf_transfer -t .\gpssim.bin -f 1575420000 -s 2600000 -a 1 -x 0 -C 2 -R.")

I see the Transmit LED is on, as I would expect, but I am not having luck in verifying the transfers are occurring using apps for either Android phones, or iPhones.  The GPS location reported by these aps is my physical location no matter what coordinates I supply.

I have also connected, via SMA cable, the HackRF to my project and the GPS receiver does not appear to be receiving GPS coordinates either.  The GPS sentences it reports contain no latitude or longitude values.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!