[Hackrf-dev] Hey, everybody

Chuck McManis chuck.mcmanis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 19:07:15 EST 2019

Hi Jonathan,

Be aware that the 8 bit resolution of the DAC on the HackRF means that you
get quite a bit of quantization noise in the output. You can build a filter
bank to reduce those spurs but the end result is that the HackRF's use as a
signal generator is not as high as you might like. I ended up getting one
of the EraSynth ones off CrowdSupply when they ran their first campaign and
it has much lower phase noise and (in my case) a wider range. I have used
it as an LO with a mini-circuits mixer to tune the entire amateur band for
the HackRF (it also extended the range of my HackRF to the 10Ghz bands as I
can downconvert 10Ghz to 1Ghz that the HackRF can handle nicely. While the
Minicircuits mixer is good to at least 10dBm I have not tried trancieving
with it yet.  I also picked up a Morpheus (cheap at $125) which has the
mixer built in, but it doesn't have the range that the Erasynth does.

73,
--Chuck
(AI6ZR)