[Hackrf-dev] Fwd: Low pass filter lesson 1

Dominic Spill dominicgs at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:26:59 EDT 2018

On 9 May 2018 at 01:29, Matteo Terzi <matteo.terzi97 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
> could you explain me better?
> Sorry but I don't understand why I should mix the signal. I'm a newcomer
with GNU Radio.
> If you can, give me a website where I can find something more.

Some of these concepts are explained in later videos in Mike's series, so
they may offer the explanation that you're looking for.

>> Hi Matteo,
>>
>> It is the difference between "baseband" and "RF". If you take an RF
signal that is at 100Mhz and has a bandwidth of 2.5Khz,  you can mix it
with another signal at 100Mhz and that will produce two outputs, one at
200Mhz, and one at 0Mhz. It will still have a 2.5Khz bandwidth so on the
low end it will be between 0 and 2.5kHz so a low pass filter is needed.

Lesson 1 (https://greatscottgadgets.com/sdr/1/ --> minute 22:00).
>>> He says that in that way just frequencies near to the zero Hz can pass
but it doesn't make sense....how radio frequencies can pass if they have a
value of MHz??